Why Renovate? Modern Interior Design Ideas
I've discovered that many modern interior design ideas can substitute beautifully for a room renovation. Especially if you're concerned about the time and expense involved in a renovation. There is an easier way, and it can be fun, too! Not only will your home look beautiful, which will make you happy, but your pocketbook will be happy, too.
Besides asking yourself what exactly needs to be done, I'd like to propose that you ask yourself how you'd like to feel. I’d be willing to bet that the answer is that you want to feel good. You want to be uplifted when you walk in your house. That might sound obvious, but many of us never take that into consideration. A little self-inquiry goes a long way.
Now that we've gotten that out of the way, you must determine what it is you'd like to do. Do you just want to update a room so it feels new without breaking the bank? Or do you need to convert that extra bedroom into a home office? The most inexpensive and dramatic way to change a room, believe it or not, is with a coat of paint. Yes, that’s correct. A coat of paint!
Color goes a long way in creating change and is probably the simplest of all the modern interior design ideas. I've found that most people are afraid when it comes to slapping bold colors on their walls. Don"t be afraid of going for a deep or bold shade. Or even stripes. Remember, it's only paint. You can always change it. It's not permanent. Maybe you’ve secretly desired teal walls, or perhaps you’ve wondered what it would be like to have multi-colored walls? Say, olive green on one wall, and rust on the others? Or green on one side of the room and yellow on the rest of it. And my personal favorite, yellow and blue. I have a friend who got sick of her pale oak kitchen cabinets and slapped a coat of black paint on them. They look sensational and she couldn't be happier!
There are many home interior design ideas that you can implement to make you feel like you’ve just had a designer make over a room.
- Paint. Aside from a straight paint job, there are also various finishes you can employ. Faux finishing is not hard and many paint stores provide instructions on how to do it. If I can faux finish a wall, you can, too.
- Change out the knobs on the kitchen or bathroom cabinets. Have you seen the hundreds of designs that are out there? Do you want classic and elegant? Fun and funky? It’s all out there and changing them up can add an incredible newness and flair to a room.
- I'll shut up about paint after this... but I strongly suggest painting your bathroom and kitchen cabinets. Yes, paint right over those oak cabinets that cost you an arm and a leg. And while you’re at it, if your floors are hardwood, you can paint them, too! I've done all of that and absolutely love it! If you’re too timid to paint the hardwood floor, you can always stain it for a richer color. Okay, no more about paint, I promise.
- Light fixtures. There are many kinds of light fixtures, all of which will lend a certain tone to the room. Maybe a chandelier in your bedroom for a romantic feel? Or recessed lighting in the dining room for a peaceful, calming effect? Again, don't be afraid if it's not traditional. I removed the chandelier from my dining room, added recessed lighting... and hung my chandelier in the citrus tree in my back yard, and created an outdoor living space.
- Molding. Adding crown molding to a room provides an elegant touch, whatever your style. Many home improvement stores now sell adhesive-backed crown molding for easy self-installation.
- If you do have hardwood floors, considering purchasing a new area rug or a brightly colored throw rug for the bedroom. Again, color goes a long way in creating how a room feels.
These are just a few modern interior design ideas. I’m sure you'll come up with a few of your own, too. Don’t be afraid to experiment, and most of all, have fun!
Return to Interior Room Design from Modern Interior Design Ideas
Return to Holistic Interior Designs from Modern Interior Design Ideas