Health and Buildings
What does interior design have to do with your health?
Health and buildings, what this means to your home and office environment? As you are reading this from the comfort of your lounge or whilst sitting in your office chair. Look around at the room; the furniture, walls, flooring, products and accessories. What are they made from? Are they natural or man-made materials? Are you suffering from any illnesses? What affect do they have on your health?
We spend around 90% of our time inside buildings breathing, living and working. Most modern day materials used in interior design and architecture contain toxic additives. These materials are harmful to human and animal health as they slowly release toxic vapours, gases and pollutants into the air at room temperature (offgassing). This creates indoor air pollution and low air quality levels.
You cannot see, smell or taste these toxic gases.
Interior air also becomes polluted through tobacco smoke, the use of space heaters, electrical equipment, appliances and chemical cleaning supplies. Interior air pollution is more damaging to your health than exterior air pollution as it is condensed and contained within small areas. Over time you may develop symptoms and illnesses such as sick building syndrome, asthma or allergies from indoor air pollution.
Healthy Home Articles
Please consult with a medical professional if you experience any adverse health effects similar to those described in these articles.
- Sick building syndrome The condition, symptoms, causes and ways to help reduce the effects through holistic interior design
- Building related illness How this differs from sick building syndrome and how it relates to holistic interior design
- Multiple chemical sensitivity How your surrounding environment is a toxic zone for your body.
- Indoor allergens - Part 1 Your home, health, symptoms of allergic reactions to airborne irratants and what you can do.
- Indoor allergens - Part 2 Typical causes of allergic reactions are; pet dander, dust, mould, bacteria, fungus, insects & mites.
- Electromagnetic fields Looking at EMFs in your home & the associated health risks.
- Indoor air pollution How spending time indoors can be worse for you than spending time outside.
- Indoor air pollutants What are they and where do they come from? A look at combustion, biological, VOCs and heavy metal pollutants.
- VOCs How synthetic materials, furniture, finishes and human activities contribute to poor indoor air quality.
- Brominated fire retardants Synthetic chemicals found in furniture, textiles and plastics within your home & their association with illness.
- Formaldehyde This toxic chemical can be found in building materials, furniture and products in your home.
- Radon This indoor air pollutant contains carcinogens and is undetectable by human senses.
- Asbestos Possible sources of exposure in your home, the negative health effects & course of action.
- Poisonous PVC The most toxic plastic of all, take a look inside this chemical hazard.
- Plastic Classification Ranked in order of toxicity and identification numbers.
- Plastic Dangers The common types of plastic in the home.
- Reducing Plastic What we all should know.
- Plastic Alternatives Biodegradable & natural based polymers.
Other holistic & healthy living resources
Matt Shore offers personal training in Eastbourne and the surrounding East Sussex areas, with online support, training & advice. This unique holistic training concept rests on the understanding that the human body operates as a thinking, moving, functional and complete unit.
Homeopathy is a natural system of medicine that not only can help remove problematic symptoms that have bothered you for years, but it can also help boost your immune system, increase your energy and improve your general outlook on life.
Eileen Scullion Registered Homeopath (LicISH ISHom). Practicing from Dublin 2 & Crumlin, Dublin 12.
Earth Balance Tai Chi
Traditional lineage Tai Chi in Dublin, Ireland.
Linda Keen is a holistic therapist specialising in Yoga, Psychotherapy, Counselling & Life Coaching. She teaches people relaxation techniques and gives them a toobox to get the most out of life and fulfill their potential as human beings.
Healthy Holistic Living
Learn techniques on building a healthy home, developing a healthy living strategy, alternative medicine, managing a chronic illness, getting disability as well as various articles and links related to holistic health.
Natures Super Foods, Super Recipes & Super Food Remedies. Living Longer & Living Younger.
Hypnosis and Health Directory
Hypnotherapy CDs, hypnosis, motivational techniques, brain wave training and free practical advice.