Allergens In Your Home
What are the different allergens in your home? The following article looks at specific causes of indoor allergies and how to reduce the risk of allergic reactions.
From cats, to dogs, to hamsters, to lizards and even fish – allergens are caused by dander and other fine particles of animal waste (urine and saliva).
Dust is found in every home, no matter how much you clean! However you can take practical measures to reduce the levels of dust.
Moisture, Mould, Bacteria and Fungus
Wherever there are levels of moisture, micro organisms will breed. Typically in your kitchen and bathroom, yet anywhere building materials become damp or wet. The presence of airborne mould spores can provoke symptoms of hay fever and asthma.
Depending on your location in the world, different species of insects will be present in your home. When they die their bodies break down into particles and become airborne. Types of insects include: cockroaches, flies, moths, crickets, fleas, mosquitoes, gnats, beetles, woodlice, ladybirds, ants etc.
Microscopic arthropods are mites such as dust mites, spider mites, pet mites and storage mites which cannot be seen by the human eye. These micro organisms are found in abundance in your home and come from a variety of sources.
Although not as much concern as garden plants, indoor plants can cause allergic reactions to pollen and mould. Indoor plants are generally more leafy with lower levels of pollen. Leafy plants may be kept in damp soil conditions, which encourage mould to grow, releasing spores into the air. Dried plant/flower arrangements harbour high levels of dust and are not that easy to clean, they can also be breeding grounds for mould and mildew if they become moist.
Symptoms can range from mild like sneezing to severe asthma attacks depending on the concentration levels and your own sensitivity to the allergen. That said some types of plants will decrease the levels of microbes, naturally regulate humidity and clean the air.
It would be impossible to remove all allergens in your home, however you can limit the levels of concentration which will help reduce the risk of developing allergic symptoms. As with all symptoms, please consult with your doctor for professional medical advice.